Recommended First Fishing Kayak?

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
tojo007
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney area
Kayaks: Viking Profish 400

Recommended First Fishing Kayak?

#1 Post by tojo007 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi

I've been doing a bit of research. Want to go low to mid-range in price and don't want to spend more than about $1500. Want something of quality that I won't need to replace in a few years...

I've been reading good reviews of the Viking kayaks. Profish 400 and Profish GT. At the lower end of the scale NextGen 10 Pro. Anything in that range that stands out?

Any other recommendations guys?

Appreciate any help offered.

Regards

R
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. John Buchan

Shuggy22
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

Re: Recommended First Fishing Kayak?

#2 Post by Shuggy22 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:39 pm

Hat type of fishing, environment and conditions you eant to fish mate?

Shuggy22
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

#3 Post by Shuggy22 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:39 pm

What*

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#4 Post by Marty75 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm

As you can imagine mate it depends on whether you're fishing skinny streams vs offshore with everything in between. Also think about how you're going to be transporting the kayak, getting it up on roof racks, trailer etc

Marty

tojo007
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by tojo007 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi All

In terms of fishing it will be estuary/lake fishing, Cowan creek, Middle Harbour, Brisbane Water, Wallis lake etc, nothing offshore at all.

Transport wise roof racks or back of boat.

Maybe the odd paddle just for fitness every now and then. At 4.1m the Viking looked like a good option.

Any view on Wilderness Systems as another option?

Cheers

R
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. John Buchan

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#6 Post by Cubits » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm

The vikings are cracking kayaks, and the GT and 400 are tough to choose between. I wrestled with that very decision for weeks before i went with the GT, but i might recommend the 400.

I use my GT to stand and fly cast from, and it is super stable. The tackle pod is fantastic, and there's heaps of other storage. It even surfs pretty well once it's going. It's viking's best creek yak by a mile.

But it exists as a great complement to the reload. The tackle pod makes even more sense when you have two kayaks. The reload does straight lines like a boss, and covering distance or trolling at high speed is immeasurably easier. I take my GT out for tuna and it's a damn slog to hold 8kmh!

The 400 sits in the middle. It doesn't have the same tackle pod arrangement, but for a single yak it's still very well set up. It has most of the speed of the reload in a more maneuverable package, so it can do estuaries. And if/when the urge hits, it still does offshore very well. The standing stability isn't GT good but it's still usable; how important is that to give up efficiency for?

When i went with the GT i didn't think i would ever be hitting the beaches, but currently it's basically all i do. Luckily there's a reload in my imminent future and i won't have to re-rig the pod. A 400 would cover about 90% of the use-case of both.

tojo007
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by tojo007 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks Cubits...the tackle pod is an option on the 400 but you have to pay...how much difference do you think the extra 4cm of width makes on the 400 compared to the GT stability wise? Did you paddle both? I guess I don't see myself standing up much but who knows...? If in NSW where did you buy from?
cheers

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#8 Post by Cubits » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm up in qld where we have a few viking retailers and the aussie branch. Not sure what's available around sydney/north coast.

I've paddled them both, and the 400 is plenty stable for sitting and casting. It's not so much the extra width that makes the difference, the GT has down-turned chines which makes the bottom effectively flat instead of a vee. That gives it a lot of primary stability, whereas the 400 tips a bit before solidifying. I've seen people chuck cast nets from 400s and reloads, so they're still fine, but i never had one long enough to learn it.

The 400s tackle pod isn't as big and it doesn't integrate the transducer, so it's not quite as neat a solution. I'd look at just installing the sounder to the stock cover before spending on the optional pod, you do get a little more storage volume that way.

Hope the search goes well, but if you can't get into a viking I'm sure the local kfdu chappies here will point you at another great sydney-available choice!

Edstar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

#9 Post by Edstar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:40 pm

I gone thru a lot of yaks. I started off with a Viking tempo it was great. But in my opinion u should get something like a reload. U can always learn stability but a fat yak will always be slow and in time u would always wish it faster and hence need to upgrade Unless u intend on standing a lot to cast. I can stand and cast from my outback but rarely do. Prob coz I’m a bit lazy :lol: I might stand to get a better view of the structure but sit down again after the first cast.
Edstar.

westoll
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: hauraki gulf auckland nz

#10 Post by westoll » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:39 am

Hi, I have a GT at 3.6 m it is an easy boat to handle, with good solid side handles. I use it for drifting along the coast and is very dry, handles surf well. I also had a 440 PRO Profisherman which was fast but nearly a metre longer so a bit more awkward to put on the car, being retired, the GT is very handy for a few hours fishing during the week at Auckland. :grin:

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#11 Post by nigel » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:41 am

look up on Gumtree plenty of second hand yaks going for very realistic $ if you get hooked the 1st won't be the last ide suggest go for a SOT with more rounded hull (sea kayak type)better secondary stability you get to love the wobble & learn its limitations as in how far it will lean b4 flipping as appose to good primary sits flat then upside down with little warning.Will also depend where your going to fish.

Pommy Nigel
ImageImage

tojo007
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by tojo007 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 am

tks everyone for the feedback.

cheers

R

tojo007
KFDU Angler

#13 Post by tojo007 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 am

As an FYI I went for the Viking Profish 400. It seems like a good compromise to me for fishing and paddling.

Will be taking it out this weekend for a first paddle.

Cheers

Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra, Stellar & Fenn Surfskis, Vajda K1

#14 Post by Slick Mick » Tue May 01, 2018 9:12 pm

tojo007 wrote:As an FYI I went for the Viking Profish 400. It seems like a good compromise to me for fishing and paddling.

Will be taking it out this weekend for a first paddle.

Cheers
Good onya tojo007. The first boat is what you will always judge future ones against.

Myself, have had everything from a Hobie AI, Rev 13 and Outback to a Stealth Profisha 575 and Fisha 500. But guess what? I have gone back to plastic with an Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra (second hand) which was similar to the first fishing yak I ever owned and enjoying it immensely. Back to the Future! :lol:

The Viking Profish range certainly look the goods mate and we all look forward to future reports of your experiences fishing from it.

Tight Lines!

Mick
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).

tojo007
KFDU Angler

#15 Post by tojo007 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks Mick...will keep the group posted!

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”