Woolwash Barra MASSIVE boof heart attack!

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Woolwash Barra MASSIVE boof heart attack!

#1 Post by Ads22 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 am

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdhyJAIfQo (the link since I'm having trouble seeing them come up on my end)

No-work-Wednesday this week saw me with a few things to do. I did manage a quick session on the Woolwash Lagoon near Rocky chasing some Barra. The river is running hard with recent heavy rains up around Sarina and not great for kayak fishing. The water level in the lagoon is quite low and with the heat recently, the water is warm. Woolwash Lagoon is known to hold Barra and some quite good models, however, I had never caught one in here, only through the passage to Frogmore. It is also known as a good spot for surface fishing, especially on sunset.

I launched after a few jobs just after 11am and aimed to catch a Barra on the new Abu Garcia travel rod with my Daiwa Tatula Type R reel. Using a Jackall Squirrel DD 79 suspending model in Matte Pearl White (lauded as a great Barra lure at Lake Monduran) I targeted some old pylons running across the lagoon.

Having pondered already that Barramundi fishing often means catching nothing or doing it tough, I had been on the water a mere 20 minutes when I got my first hit. The fish took quickly to the surface and I knew I was onto a nice Barra already. Initially running for clear, it turned back quickly toward the structure and dragged me close. I had to push off the pylons as the fish ran under the kayak, launching itself clear of the water behind my back on the other side of the yak. It doubled back under the yak and ran between two pylons. As I ran the rod over the top, it tripled back, meaning a quick change in plans and trying to get the rod back over. Thankfully, it now ran for space and I managed to steer the line over my other rod without catching the line and I settled in for a good sleigh ride.
Barra1LeapBehind_L.jpg
Barra1Leap_L.jpg
I only had 20lb leader and eased my way through the fight from now and, seeing the leader well inside the fish’s mouth and the scuffed leader, I’m glad I did. After a few minutes, I raised the fish in triumph – my first Woolwash Barra! It was a good size, at 76.5cm. While it is open season, this is a bit of a nursery lagoon, so I elected to tag the fish to hopefully see where it might turn up after the next flood event.
Barra1Selfie_L.jpg
Barra765_L.jpg
BarraSquirrelBucket_L.jpg
Barra1Selfie_L.jpg
Barra1Tag_L.jpg

Happy with my efforts, I considered heading home, but elected to stay out my intended time and pushed up the lagoon. As time drew close for school pick up, I trolled an SX40 back toward the launch hoping to pick up a Tarpon or Tilapia along the way. I received a good hit that missed the hooks.

Stopping at the pylons again, I quickly received a hit as the weedless-rigged Happy Rock Softies Grub dropped, followed by a swirl emerging between the pylons. I can only imagine the lure was hit before I could take up the slack line. I sent a few more casts back in and worked some other pylons, then changed up from the standard slow roll retrieve commonly used with the grub. After a few hops and redirecting the yak in the breeze, I quickly retrieved the lure for another cast when it was SMASHED off the surface, right next to the kayak. So quick and furious was the hit that the fish took off past me and quickly launched itself, turning back towards snag territory. I celebrated the excitement of the situation as I was towed about, crashing through some submerged woodwork. The fish then turned for open water and veered toward some more structure. In the excitement and panic of the moment, I did the worst thing I could have done. I thumbed the spool! This fish was fired up and running away from me and I thumbed the spool! Idiot! The leader knot went twang and the fish was gone!

Just the hit - If nothing else, check this short video out. It's a Minties Moment!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyCJXqpBWo
BarraSurfaceHit_L.jpg
BarraSurprise_L.jpg
Irritated, devastated, embarrassed. I couldn’t believe I had been so impatient to stop this fish. I’m not sure of the size, but it’s clear in the footage, it was a big fish, perhaps not a metre, but suspect it was at least the same size as the earlier fish, just a bit more amped on adrenaline.

As my own adrenaline calmed with some contemplation, I fiddled about tying on another leader and cast for a few more minutes before heading off to collect the kids.
Sad1_L.jpg
Contemplate1_L.jpg
It was an awesome little session with some disappointment from my operator error. However, the experience of that strike was amazing. I also managed to come home with two extra surface lures harvested from the dead trees – a Halco Roosta Popper and a Yo-Zuri 3DR Prop. I’ll have to put these to use soon. This weekend is looking terribly windy and I would love to get out somewhere to chase the thrill of that hit again, but not sure it’s going to happen.
Until next time, cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: Woolwash Barra MASSIVE boof heart attack!

#2 Post by Steve R » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:37 am

Ads22 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 am
(the link since I'm having trouble seeing them come up on my end)
You may see it if you remove the 's' from https in the URL bar (or you may not - mine gives a message "blocked by an extension" and I could not be bothered working out which extension). When you do this, you may be logged out! As best I can work out this is a youtube plugin configuration issue, only solvable by a site administrator. Meanwhile, for those who click youtube links that open in the same tab, right-click the link and choose open in new tab.

UPDATE:

I 'bothered'. My blocking extension was uMatrix (i had not yet set an exception for KFDU).

Switching back to a non secure url (i.e. removing the s from 'https' in the uRL bar then refreshing the web page makes it visible (unless you have an extension that block it or some other issue, of course).
Since that worked, I thought maybe pasting the https youtube link in https KFDU may work around the issue. It doesn't. All it does is create a shortcut.
To me this seems like a phpBB forum configuration issue (i.e. only solveable by an administrator, possibly needing advice via phpBB forum: https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=youtube+not+working).

Meanwhile, the work around is to paste the URL instead of using the [youtube] link plugin. There is a way to grab a youtube link that does not work from page code but that's probably a step too geeky for most.
Last edited by Steve R on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#3 Post by Steve R » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 pm

After looking at the youtube issue I didn't look at the work but highly recommend the highlights at the start of the long video. Looks like you had a great time.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland & Northern Rivers NSW

#4 Post by hillbilly » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Adds. Just read your write up and now have watched your video footage. Very exciting indeed. It was like being there. Pity you lost your second fish but at least you've got footage of it.To me it looked a bigger fish. Well done. Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

#5 Post by rocky » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Great footage Adam making me drool just watching, see you in July sometime.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

ronaldo
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: coffs coast & beyond.....
Kayaks: WS Tarpon 120 - Mantra Noa - Hobie Revo 13

#6 Post by ronaldo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Adds What a magic session, just pure magic :drib: :drib: :drib:

Thanks mate for sharing
Cheers
Ron
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE.
IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#7 Post by Ads22 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Steve R wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 pm
After looking at the youtube issue I didn't look at the work but highly recommend the highlights at the start of the long video. Looks like you had a great time.
Cheers Steve, it was a good, fun session. Aware of the YT issue and perhaps it'll get sorted in time. In the meantime, I'll just add links with it.
ronaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 pm
Adds What a magic session, just pure magic :drib: :drib: :drib:

Thanks mate for sharing
Cheers
Ron
Thanks Ron, I'm keen to do it all again!! :drib: indeed!
rocky wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 pm
Great footage Adam making me drool just watching, see you in July sometime.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
July sound great Rocky! Get keen!
hillbilly wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:41 pm
Hi Adds. Just read your write up and now have watched your video footage. Very exciting indeed. It was like being there. Pity you lost your second fish but at least you've got footage of it.To me it looked a bigger fish. Well done. Regards Bill
Thanks Bill, I think you're right, it was a bigger fish. It certainly shifted some water!! It's all a learning process, victories and losses will both teach us.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

#8 Post by Ozzybass » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 pm

All I can say: WOW!!!

Kareless1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Queensland Northern NSW
Kayaks: Pedalcraft 10 ft, Freak 8 ft

#9 Post by Kareless1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Wow what a stonker!!! You must have been thinking yabbadabadoo, come to papa. How hard was your heart pumping? Great video, my Mrs asked if it was me if I'd have wet myself and I replied, "Happily!" Les :lek:
It's okay not to be okay...
Best fish; Aust Bass 51cm, Bream 30cm, Barra 65cm, Flathead 49cm, Whiting 27cm, Trevally 35cm

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by Ads22 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:07 pm

Ozzybass wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 pm
All I can say: WOW!!!
:grin:
Kareless1 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:50 pm
Wow what a stonker!!! You must have been thinking yabbadabadoo, come to papa. How hard was your heart pumping? Great video, my Mrs asked if it was me if I'd have wet myself and I replied, "Happily!" Les :lek:
No shame in wetting yourself in such a situation. I nearly did! Adrenaline certainly had my blood pumping!
Yak PBs

allane
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Woolgoolga
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Feelfree Nomad, Feelfree Move.

#11 Post by allane » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:20 am

Great footage you will look back at that for years to come. Most moments like that the camera isn't running. Awesome,awesome,awesome.!!!!
Yak PBs: Bream 38cm FL, Bass 46cm FL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Flathead 61cm, Whiting 43cm, Luderick 41cm, Silver Trevally 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#12 Post by Ads22 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 pm

allane wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:20 am
Great footage you will look back at that for years to come. Most moments like that the camera isn't running. Awesome,awesome,awesome.!!!!
I think you're right, I have watched it a few times now. Would love a repeat effort! I try to run the camera full time. It means deleting a lot, but it did allow me to randomly get a cool shot. Same goes for the boat incident, although that was total accident that the camera was on at all!
Yak PBs

Return to “Freshwater Reports”