Fish finders around $500 or less

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.

Re: Fish finders around $500 or less

Postby Richo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Great post James
Yes, I too am a victim of spending a lot more than I should on my yak electronics. :shock:
But in saying that, I do not own a 'toy' car that is a bottomless pit, or a stink boat worth 10`s of thousands.
This is my hobby & I must admit I am a 'Gadget Nut'. :roll:
Now I have my yak setup, I should`nt have to spend another thing...... :lol: :lol: yeah right! Till the next one...
I did own an Eagle Cuda 128 on my last rig & it was a great little unit!
Here`s the specs on it.
Cuda128JPEG.jpg

Retailed around $120 (discontinued, but still around cheap in stores)
FEATURES:

Display:
- 4" (10.2 cm) diagonal screen
Film SuperTwist LCD
- High-definition 128 vertical pixel resolution
- Backlit screen
- 4-level grayscale

Sonar:
- Depth capability to 600 ft* (183 m) with 800 watts of peak-to-peak power
- High-performance, low-profile 200 kHz Skimmer® transducer with built-in temp delivers a wider, more effective fish detection area of up to 60° with high sensitivity settings
- Operates at boat speeds up to 70 mph (61 kts)
- Advanced Signal Processing (ASPâ„¢) automatically adjusts your settings for the best sonar picture
- Patented GRAYLINE® separates fish from nearby structure and bottom
- Advanced Fish I.D.â„¢ shows underwater targets in different sizes of fish symbols
- FishTrackâ„¢ displays target depth readings above fish symbols
- Surface water temperature readings come from a built-in temp sensor in the transducer
- Zoom with zoom bottom tracking and easy zoom-in/out control

Performance:
- Ultra compact case design with an adjustable tilt, quick-release mounting system
- Easy to connect/disconnect with uniplug cable connector
- Internal back-up memory for key sonar settings
- Completely sealed and waterproof, even for use in harsh saltwater environments
- Full Two year warranty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richo

OK Prowler 4.5 Elite
2009 Hobie Outback (soon)

Image Image
Richo
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: N`cle, Hunter, Lake Macquarie

Postby cridgie123 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:48 am

Fantastic post James You have just brought the showroom for fish finders into my computer room,A couple of questions if i may .
1 do all the fish finders shown display in colour ?
2 If i was fishing, ie anchored or drifting in say 3 to 4 metres of water , what would be the spread of area seen under my
kayak, is there a rule of thumb guide to apply to varying depths?
in asking these questions, i have never used a fish finder before so please be gentle with me .
thanks once again you have made it so much easier for the likes of me.
regards Ray (cridgie 123 )
from sunny sawtell
cridgie123
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sawtell mid north coast

Postby justfloating » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:00 am

Good Job James
Have you considered doing a Column in a Yak mag.
ASK JAMES :[]:
Happy Floating
Stu

justfloating
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle NSW

Postby Yakwannabe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Dear James
Great Post.
As a newbie I am still researching and really appreciate the genorosity of the KDFU members who obviously love the sport and are willing to share their information. :smile: :smile:
Yakwannabe
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bendigo

Postby craigtempo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 pm

BRILLIANT WORK JAMES this answers alot of questions .all i have to do now is find a 215 220 240 humingbird and try to mount it by ther weekend .
THANKS again
craig
Bream ... 41cm - salmon..76cm - flathead ..64 cm - whiting ... 32 cm - jewie ..8.3kg s shark.. aghhh run away -tailor..55cm - yellowtail ... 17cm

Welcome to the party that never ends .
craigtempo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: 44 gallon drum ........ with a good seat .

Postby castamasta » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks james,like yakwannabe,im new to yaking and looking at my sounder options.im also a hummingbird fan and after using a colored sounder in my last boat i will find it hard to go back to b/w,however would you agree that a qaulity b/w sounder would be better than a cheap color? i am leaning towards the 323 for my first yak.cheers,gav.
HOBIE QUEST
castamasta
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sunshinecoast

Postby mad keen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 pm

thanx i am a nebie as well seems to be a lot on this post :lol: i have orded a new vicking nemo and the PiranhaMAX 220X Fish Finder looks pretty good so that will be the first thing i add to my new yak thanx you have helped me out a lot as only being 15 years old i am not loded with money so cheers for your help :grin:
fish bandit, go the bream.
fishing is expensive but you cant put a price on happiness.
mad keen
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Queensland

Postby Biggles » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 pm

mad keen wrote:thanx i am a nebie as well seems to be a lot on this post :lol: i have orded a new vicking nemo and the PiranhaMAX 220X Fish Finder looks pretty good so that will be the first thing i add to my new yak thanx you have helped me out a lot as only being 15 years old i am not loded with money so cheers for your help :grin:

You are welcome, good Karma to James and the guys for such a top post.

castamasta wrote:would you agree that a quality b/w sounder would be better than a cheap colour? cheers,gav.

Yes, IMHO

Al
Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12, Nitro NX 750

Postby saltydude » Mon May 04, 2009 4:58 pm

James wrote:Humminbird and Lowrance have just re-vamped all of there sounder range, so I will do a refresher post in the near future so as to keep everyone up to date with whats out there :grin:

Thanks for this report James, do you know when these new sounder ranges will be on sale?
I want a new sounder for the Revo but would like to see what changes they have made to their ranges compared to whats out now.

By the way mate just give in and come to the dark side :hb:
Cheers Saltydude
2012-Pa12 09 Revo OldTown Loon
Yak P.B's:
bream 42cm, whiting 43cm, flathead 80cm, tailor 35cm, kingfish 76cm, trevalley 46cm, amberjack 50cm, snapper 54cm, e/p 32cm, bass 42cm, jewie 1m, salmon 60cm, yellowbelly 57cm
saltydude
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, 09 Revo, OldTown-Loon

Postby Fishsicness » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is a little over the budget, and I'm not sure if it was a good deal or not, but I just picked up a Hummingbird 383c FF/GPS Combo for $585, so I'm looking forward to the install and being able to tell if I'm drifting out to sea at 6 knots when I have no reference points, ha ha....It looks like a tidy little unit and it will be awesome to have some other way of knowing what's down there without sticking my face in the water :snic:

If anyone could let me know if I got stooged or got a bargain it would be great piece of mind, as I know very little about sounders or GPS.

Cheers,

Clint
Viking Tempo
PB to be added soon, ha ha!!!
Fishsicness
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Southeast Queensland
Kayaks: Viking Tempo Fisherman

Postby TEX » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Hello James

Could you give me some advice. As I would only ever use my kayak in estuary's, dams and rivers would a (PiranhaMAX 215X Fish Finder: RRP - $209.00) be a good buy.

Reg Mark
TEX
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW

Postby sprike » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:40 pm

As a "newbe" as well, I am wondering about the mounting of the fish finder transducer within the kayak. What sort of loss percentage of readings could you expect, apart from the different types of fish finder's out there. :conf: :conf: :conf:
Hobie 2009 Outback
PB 90cm 5.6Kg Flattie
sprike
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: nsw south coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Postby Biggles » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:41 pm

TEX wrote:Hello James

Could you give me some advice. As I would only ever use my kayak in estuary's, dams and rivers would a (PiranhaMAX 215X Fish Finder: RRP - $209.00) be a good buy.

Reg Mark

Hi Mark, sorry I missed your post, James has just moved to Victoria with his work so hasn't been around for a few weeks. The 215 is a great entry level sounder and will serve you well for what you have described.

Sprike, the wet mount approach appears to have the least amount of interference from my experiences, I swear by mine.

Regards

Al
Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12, Nitro NX 750

Postby GoneFishn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:52 am

For just under $400 a great compact colour unit :ha: Will be looking at fitting one of these to my new yak.

The Fishfinder 300C colour sounder represents excellent value for recreational anglers who fish in coastal waters and freshwater lakes.
See Fish in Bright Color

The 300C has a super-bright, high-resolution 3.5-inch QVGA colour display with an easy-to-use menu, plus UltraScrollâ„¢ for detailed screen updates at fast speeds. This fishfinder comes with a Dual Beam transducer, which provides excellent coverage in shallow waters.

Benefit from High Performance Sonar
The Fishfinder 300C features the high-performance sonar receiver found in most of the Garmin marine line-up.

Other features:

* Power output: 150 watts (RMS) 1200 watts (peak to peak)
* Auto Gain setting adjusts sonar sensitivity automatically
* See-Thru® technology shows weak and strong returns simultaneously
* Round flasher display mode
* Whiteline shows you how thick the bottom is
* 2X and 4X automatic and manual zoom
* Battery voltage indicator
* Single NMEA-0183 output
* Optional paddlewheel transducer for boat speed

GoneFishn
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Philp Bay
Kayaks: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Postby Ranger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:33 pm

You might find I've provided a fair bit of input in regards to sounders!

In my own view, there are only 2 really important things when it comes to a sounder:
1) Resolution-number of pixels vertical and horizontal

2)Output power-measured in either "watts RMS" or "watts peak to peak"

Maximise these two numbers and you'll get the best sounder you can for your money, then everything else and extra functions are just icing on the cake.

I personally believe, if you have a budget of under $500 then disregard colour units, because you'll only get lower powered entry level units for that price, whereas the same money will get you quite a good and high powered black and white unit!

Once again, colour is just icing on the cake, but you don't really need that!

A personal preference of mine for the <$500 market would be the Lowrance, X50, (X51 now superceded) or X52. All between $300 and $400, all 1500 watt peak to peak, and all 240x160 pixels.

They provide good bottom definition, they have ample power, a large 4" screen, they are simple to use and the X50 (the cheaper compact one) also has a dual frequency transducer if that appeals to you!

As far as I'm concerned, spend around $300 for an X50 which does everything you need and THEN some, and save the extra $200 for a new outfit to go with it!

Turn off those silly fish symbols and take a little time learning how to interpret your sounder, and you'll be catching more fish than you ever have before! It's also the model you'll be seeing on my own new Outback!

Just my own opinion of course, and you know what they say about opinions!

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Mar ... fications/

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Mar ... fications/
Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes!
Ranger
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Adelaide

Next

Return to Sounders And GPS Units