Rocky & Kathys big trip

A social kayak fishing group for the Hunter/Central Coast/Port Stephens/Lake Macquarie regions.
rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Re: Rocky & Kathys big trip

#46 Post by rocky » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Well had another trip out on Coorooman ck but in a stinker. Took Kath out for a fish in the boat our friends lent us and I only managed a fish the locals call a dart nothing like the ones you get on the beach though, Kath on the other hand caught a fat 50cm Flathead, three Cod and lost anther three fish I called for Cod. Kath reckons it was like a charter as I did all the rigging, baiting up, boat driving and taking the fish off. We also set 4 crab traps but no luck with them. Also found out that there is a croc farm not far from where I fished last time in the yak!!!
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
Cheers & Beers
Rocky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#47 Post by arpie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:17 pm

hahaha DEFINITELY looking VERY relaxed there, Rocky!!

Don't forget to write 741 on your Brag Tray - so that any fish you measure on it will be 'in our fishing comps'!! :grin:

Well done to Kath for catching all the fish! :gu:

cheerio

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#48 Post by rocky » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Well haven’t posted on this for a while but have put a few up mainly in Estuary reports so if interested check them out, not sure how to link.
We spent 4 months in Yeppoon then made our way down the coast stopping at Gin Gin then Bundaberg, Maryborough, Toowoomba, Laidley, Gold Coast then on to Newcastle for a couple of months with family over Christmas and New Year also catching up with some of the mid coasters.
We are now back on the road left on Sunday 21/1 stopping at Bingara for 3 days on the banks of the Gwydir river now in Moree enjoying the spa pools, when we leave will head for Carnarvon gorge stopping at St George and Injune on the way. Only problem so for is the new fridge freezer has $&@! Itself only a month old.
C4BCCA43-B469-433C-B48E-132D575F7D9B.jpeg
88496196-B638-436B-B7FA-8B4BC3D33A9E.jpeg
F24A71C5-BD83-4D1E-B8DE-F4BC31AB321D.jpeg
More to come.
Cheers & Beers
Rocky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

arpie

#49 Post by arpie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Happy Safe Travels ..... hope you have a Dash Cam! :beye:

Bugger about the fridge!! A 'reputable brand'?? Should have no trouble replacing it anyway - it is obviously well within 'warrant/product life expectation'!!

cheers

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnt
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: Revo, AI, Sport, Fisha 500 and Barracuda Ultra Light

#50 Post by johnt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Don't tell me this is the fridge you were all excited about. Also like the stealth a lot. Might take a while to learn to paddle properly though.
Member of

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie N.S.W.
Kayaks: Perception Minnow, Yellow Hobie Outback

#51 Post by newknees2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:30 am

I like your choice of beer!!!!! :wink: What brand of fridge/freezer is it??

Regards,
Peter.
Member of

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#52 Post by rocky » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Oops change of plans, we can do can’t we, now in Goondiwindi for a few days and heading east with a plan to stop off at BJelke Peterson dam then off to Hervey Bay the coast is like a magnet. Intend doing Carnarvon gorge when it’s a bit cooler in April- May.
Roberta we don’t have dash cam but it is on a wish list :).

Yep John it is the fridge we just bought because it has a freezer compartment ):

Pete will let you know after I sort out warranty, it looks favourable at the moment but not holding my breath.

Talking about fridges the wiring in the car to the van fridge died so into autolec for fix with heavier cable.

Happy news we are all well and I am going have a few ales:)

Cheers and Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of. Member of

arpie

#53 Post by arpie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:05 pm

....Roberta we don’t have dash cam but it is on a wish list :)......

I got mine some years back from the Post Office .... $70 - you can get them for less now -and if in an accident, can offer proof of who's at fault - particularly if the driver isn't there to tell THEIR side of the story! :cry: Well worth the investment - some insurers reduce your premium if you let them know you are using them - so they pay for themselves! :wink:

Seriously - if involved in a big truck smash - the truckies usually survive ..... those in cars don't always! :?:

You can get a more expensive one that is built into the front mirror - with front and rear cameras - so it virtually covers all angles. Mine is just a front one.

cheers

Roberta

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#54 Post by rocky » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:14 pm

arpie wrote:....Roberta we don’t have dash cam but it is on a wish list :)......

I got mine some years back from the Post Office .... $70 - you can get them for less now -and if in an accident, can offer proof of who's at fault - particularly if the driver isn't there to tell THEIR side of the story! :cry: Well worth the investment - some insurers reduce your premium if you let them know you are using them - so they pay for themselves! :wink:

Seriously - if involved in a big truck smash - the truckies usually survive ..... those in cars don't always! :?:

You can get a more expensive one that is built into the front mirror - with front and rear cameras - so it virtually covers all angles. Mine is just a front one.

cheers

Roberta
Touch wood I have not had any serious incidents, just seems as though fridges don’t like me maybe I put to much pressure on them to keep my beer cold :)
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of. Member of

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator

#55 Post by newknees2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 pm

Do you have a dual battery system in your tug or is the wiring direct from your main battery?
Regards,
Peter.
Member of

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#56 Post by rocky » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:21 pm

newknees2 wrote:Do you have a dual battery system in your tug or is the wiring direct from your main battery?
Regards,
Peter.
Pete
Have a battery in the tub serviced by a dc-dc charger for the portable fridge. The van runs from the car when travelling and the autolec today has put in heavier cable to stop power drop and a relay so when I stop the power stops feeding the van so it won’t flatten the car battery. The new cable also charges the van batteries while travelling. Ford had used to light a cable and it finally gave out, cheapskates.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of. Member of

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#57 Post by Mackayak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Things looking good the cut out when you stop is good have one fitted to tug now. Our van is due end Feb so hopefully starting some trips then. Enjoy your travails., :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#58 Post by rocky » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Mackayak wrote:Things looking good the cut out when you stop is good have one fitted to tug now. Our van is due end Feb so hopefully starting some trips then. Enjoy your travails., :wink:
Hope van turns up when due so you can get into some traveling, may catch up on road somewhere.

Safe travels
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of. Member of

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator

#59 Post by newknees2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:16 am

[
Pete
Have a battery in the tub serviced by a dc-dc charger for the portable fridge. The van runs from the car when travelling and the autolec today has put in heavier cable to stop power drop and a relay so when I stop the power stops feeding the van so it won’t flatten the car battery. The new cable also charges the van batteries while travelling. Ford had used to light a cable and it finally gave out, cheapskates.[/quote]
That's the way to go!!! Shouldn't have any problems now. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Peter.
Member of

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#60 Post by rocky » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Well spent three days at BJelke Peterson Dam only caught one Bass on first day of 36cm ‘no pic’. Put traps out that night for red claw but came up zero next morning so went for a fish after pulling the traps with no hits for over an hour of targeting points and drop offs. Headed out to the middle and drifted with the wind throwing black/purple procure curl tail grub at fish sitting mid water and managed 3 fish up to 40cm and took some pics or thought I did as when using poleroids you can’t see the screen very well, so it’s point and hope. Got back to camp and went to check pics but only had pics of the strap and my hand as I had accidentally switched the camera around er dumbo. The wind got stronger so packed everything up to leave the next day instead of going out that arvo only to get up next morning to no wind and glasses out conditions ah well.
Now in Urangan for a few days and guess what it raining :).
Update the power from car to van is all good now but no joy yet re warranty for car fridge still waiting for supplier to get back to us grrr been over a week now.
That’s all for now so fishy yakking and safe travels.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of. Member of

Return to “Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club”