Looking for a new Rod.

A social kayak fishing group for the Hunter/Central Coast/Port Stephens/Lake Macquarie regions.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Posts: 1282
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 am
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback
Location: Lake Macquarie

Looking for a new Rod.

#1 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:16 pm

G Day Fellas

I have had my fair share of bright n shiny fishing rods over the years for kayak fishing, some cheap and some $$$$$$$
I busted my 4 - 6 kg $$$$$$ rod and looking for a new one.
Look for something half decent that can be used for fish like Snapper etc.
Have considered a range of different rods and just curious what everyone is using, what everyone thinks is worth considering or looking at.
I am fishing from a Hobie OB.

Cheers BONES

User avatar
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:39 am
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Re: Looking for a new Rod.

#2 Post by pdfarrell » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm

G'day Bones,

I bought a 3-6kg Shimano Jewel the other day for casting 3/8 to 5/8 skirted jigs for impoundment bass. It's 7' with a cast weight of 7-25grams.

I'm not normally a fan of Shimano rods (love the reels though), but this has a quality carbon blank and all Fuji components.

Action wise, it was a light tip, and when loaded up, only the last third of the rod tends to bend, has a very solid lower section..

It's one of the cheaper rods I have, (>$200) but wasn't prepared to spend a heap on a rod I'd only use occasionally. I paired it with a Sedona 3000 reel and am quite impressed.

I reckon the combo will come out on Lake Mac with me in the cooler months for throwing metal slices at Tailor and Salmon...

Only thing I don't like about it, is the length of the butt, which seems to be an issue with most Shimano rods... however, being in the PA in the high seat helps. May be annoying in an Outback though...

It has a full length EVA grip, that would be a nightmare to cut down though...

Hope this either helps or rules on out.

Hope to see you back out on the water soon, it's been awhile!

Cheers,
PF

User avatar
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Posts: 1282
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 am
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Looking for a new Rod.

#3 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 pm

pdfarrell wrote:G'day Bones,

I bought a 3-6kg Shimano Jewel the other day for casting 3/8 to 5/8 skirted jigs for impoundment bass. It's 7' with a cast weight of 7-25grams.

I'm not normally a fan of Shimano rods (love the reels though), but this has a quality carbon blank and all Fuji components.

Action wise, it was a light tip, and when loaded up, only the last third of the rod tends to bend, has a very solid lower section..

It's one of the cheaper rods I have, (>$200) but wasn't prepared to spend a heap on a rod I'd only use occasionally. I paired it with a Sedona 3000 reel and am quite impressed.

I reckon the combo will come out on Lake Mac with me in the cooler months for throwing metal slices at Tailor and Salmon...

Only thing I don't like about it, is the length of the butt, which seems to be an issue with most Shimano rods... however, being in the PA in the high seat helps. May be annoying in an Outback though...

It has a full length EVA grip, that would be a nightmare to cut down though...

Hope this either helps or rules on out.

Hope to see you back out on the water soon, it's been awhile!

Cheers,
PF
G Day Paul.

Thanks for the feedback mate, and what you posts makes sense. I snapped the tip of a Samaki C-12 ( natched with Daiwa Caldia 3000 ) which occured on trip outside, wasnt happy as I paid approx $350 for it. It was sitting in a rod holder on a boat and did give it some slack and thinking the swell and bouncing of the boat coming back from the Texas FAD offshore approx 18 mile from Swansea Heads must have some how caused some kind of inertia winding motion on my reel to snap the tip. I was chasing Kingfish in 100 m depth of water that day. The ride back was rough due to swell that day. Lesson learned ( secure reel so it wont spin even in rod holder for journey back).

Getting onto the Jewel, I have seen these around and have a mate who used one kayak fishing for years. Im mostly using my 2-4 kg Samaki Zecton 2 spin rod with Shimano Stradic CI4 reel which is my " bread & butter combo", also use a Daiwa tournament specialist bream rod 1-3 kg with a Daiwa Luvias 2506.

Im not a specific brand follower just happy to use whatever works at a good valued price.

I dont want to fork out huge money on a rod reel combo for the occasional fishing of bigger stuff, 80% of my fishing is covered by the 2-4 kg and 1-3 kg rod combos I have mentioned above.

I will go and have another look at the Shimano Jewel 7 - foot long 1 piece in the 3-6 or 4-8 kg range.

Once again Paul, thanks for your feedback its given me a bit to think about.
P.S. you will be seeing alot more on the water in 2018.

Have even been looking at a possible new yak to replace my 2013 OB ( Hobie Compass).

Cheers Bones.

User avatar
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Posts: 1282
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 am
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Looking for a new Rod.

#4 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Quick update.
Bought a Shimano Jewel 5-10 kg rod an hour or so ago. Fitting my Daiwa Caldia
3000 to it.
Should be a nice combo for Kings etc especially up near Seal Rocks....

User avatar
nobrandbali
KFDU Angler
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:58 pm
Local Fishing Region: Wamberal, central coast, NSW
Kayaks: Evo 495

Re: Looking for a new Rod.

#5 Post by nobrandbali » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 pm

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs wrote:Quick update.
Bought a Shimano Jewel 5-10 kg rod an hour or so ago. Fitting my Daiwa Caldia
3000 to it.
Should be a nice combo for Kings etc especially up near Seal Rocks....
I use pflueger patriarch in 3-6kg matched with stradic 3000, is daily basis for kingie and snapper around norah head. the rod it self quite cheap around $60 new from hot tackle, it has all Fuji component

User avatar
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:39 am
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Re: Looking for a new Rod.

#6 Post by pdfarrell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 am

I bit the bullet and had a go at shortening the butt on the Jewel.

Went pretty smoothly.

Cut the butt cap off, then lopped a few inches off the rod,
RS1.jpg
..found a bit of dowel that fitted snugly, and epoxied it all back together.
RS2.jpg
Much better now. Very happy with it.
RS3.jpg
Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Posts: 1282
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 am
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Looking for a new Rod.

#7 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

pdfarrell wrote:I bit the bullet and had a go at shortening the butt on the Jewel.

Went pretty smoothly.

Cut the butt cap off, then lopped a few inches off the rod,
RS1.jpg
..found a bit of dowel that fitted snugly, and epoxied it all back together.
RS2.jpg
Much better now. Very happy with it.
RS3.jpg
Cheers,
PF
Like the idea Paul ( looks great)
I will definately have to do that to my rod.
Do you find it still balances nicely, you didnt need to add extra weight to the butt even if only a small amount?
Was out yak fishing last 2 days, heading out again every day this week, weather or suitable conditions permitting.

I think taking the length just short of the elbow is good, defintely will do that mine.

Have you had much fishing with it since the mod was done and if so how did it go.

Cheers Bones

Post Reply

Return to “Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club”