Forster in March

A social kayak fishing group for the Hunter/Central Coast/Port Stephens/Lake Macquarie regions.
katostrom
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Hunter Valley
Kayaks: Mirage 530, 14' glass canadian, ebay 2.8m SOT

Re: Foster in March

#16 Post by katostrom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:27 am

Hi all
Also planning to arrive Thursday morning, this time with the yak locked onto the racks :grin:
Looking forward to catching up.
Rgds
kato

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie N.S.W.
Kayaks: Perception Minnow, Yellow Hobie Outback

#17 Post by newknees2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm

O.K. Midcasters & others, who is coming up to Forster besides the ones who have already stated they are going??? :?:
Come on everyone, this is a great chance for everyone to have a fantastic weekend with some great company, get a post up & let us know. :wink:
Regards,
Knees.
Member of

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

#18 Post by rocky » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:40 pm

Love to join you for this weekend but will be a bit further north on our way to FNQ, hope it is a great weekend with many fish caught & lots of laughs in camp.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#19 Post by arpie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:38 am

hahaha Good Idea, Kato! Look forward to catching up again!

Topwater is working well just now - I reckon that bay should be firing!! You can also go up the channel next to the boat ramp & cut across towards the other headland (Lanis House) and go thru the mangroves & get into bream whiting & flattie as well!! Always fun! But you need a higher tide to do it.

How much is Lanis for camping? On the Lakes Way near Tiona is a 'new' campground for $28 a night for two on a powered site ($20 for a single person) Camp Elim - and has access to some of the best flats in Wallis Lake!! (Maybe a thought for next time?) They also have cabins/cottages that take up to 12!!
http://www.campelim.org.au/wp-content/u ... Prices.pdf

https://www.campelim.org.au/gallery/

It has turned quite cold & gloomy today!! I still hope to get out after breakfast!!
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#20 Post by pdfarrell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Shall be there with my better half and a pair of Hobies.
Really looking forward to it.

Been leaving it a little late to put a brake controller in my ute and get my camper trailer re regoed, but all going well should be all sorted this afternoon.
Just have to remember how to put it up! Been sitting in the shed for the last four years... :roll:

Cheers,
PF

Reg
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook, hunter, manning rivers
Kayaks: Native Slayer Propel 13

Re: Forster in March

#21 Post by Reg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm in.
Taking the new camper on its first outing, looking to arrive Friday morning.
Keen to get out on the lake has been a long time since I last had a crack at Forster.
Member of

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator

#22 Post by newknees2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:47 am

Just about organized for the weekend, only need to pack food & hook up the van in the morning & I will be on my way. :glad:
Had a bit of a set back over the weekend while having a garage sale while rearranging everything in the garage I managed to break about 400mm off the tip of my Skeleton rod :beye: Just as well that the sale went well, bought a replacement from Chris @ BCF Bennetts Green, did me a very good deal, thanks Chris. :wink:
Looking forward to catching up with everyone & drive safely. :grin:
Regards,
Knees.
Member of

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#23 Post by pdfarrell » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:52 pm

The word from Knees is to bring plenty of mozzie repellent!
My better half and I will be there early tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
PF

arpie

#24 Post by arpie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Yep - the mozzies suddenly turned FERAL! They were thick & just never gave up!!

This pic shows 5 on my hair, a couple on my Life Jacket & others on my shirt & flying around as well!!
P3220013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator

#25 Post by newknees2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Here is my entry for March.
P3220022.JPG
For those who were unable to make it, you missed out on a very eventful weekend.
I arrived a couple of days early setting up camp on Wednesday around lunch. The first thing to greet me was about 10million mozzies on each leg, it was like a cloud rising out of the long grass. We soon came to an agreement though, come near me & you get sprayed!!!!
Met up with a fellow camper, Gary, who was camping in a motorhome, he stated that the mozzies had calmed down a little since he arrived a few days before.
I sent a message to Paul so he could notify all that were attending to bring plenty of mozzie repellent. :wink:
Paul & Amy arrived the following morning followed by Bob & then Terry.
That night, Thursday, the next surprise greeted us, several hundred Flying Foxes feeding on the Paperbark blossom that had bloomed after the recent rain in the area over previous weeks. :oops:
Friday and Johno, Glen [Alias the Pelican whisperer] & Reg with his lovely wife Arrived.
We all had a fish, some more successful than others, with John having the best, managing to bring in a nice lot of blue swimmers & a good catch of Whiting which provided dinner for the whole camp, Chilli Crab entree followed by boneless Whiting fillets in a very nice crumb coating. :grin:
The next surprise was a storm cell @ about 9-30 that evening accompanied by 1000 Flying Foxes. :grr: :grr:
Saturday, all on the water at a respectable hour, none of thi daylight rubbish. Again a nice day & varied results from everyone.
I did a long Pedal back toward Forster & met up with Arpie who gave me a bit of a tutorial on the use of Umpa Poppa surface lures, I thank her very much as I ended up landing 3Bream & 3 Whiting in a little shallow water area among some Mangroves, it was great fun watching them chase the lure then hitting it. :lol:
Saturday night was much the same as the previous night including the storm cell but probably a few more Flying Foxes.
Sunday was a late start, no, not because we over indulged but due to the tide being a bit later & from the previous day's experience, nothing was happening in the early part of the day.
A few of us fished in a small inlet beside where we were camped which was again fairly shallow but produced a good number of fish, I managed 2 Bream & 2 Whiting in a fairly short time.
Back to camp as some of the crew had to leave so we said our goodby's to Reg,Terry, & Bob.
The remainder of us relaxed around camp for the remainder of the afternoon.
Relaxing after dinner we could see another storm cell gathering to the west, this one was looking a little more threatening than the 2 previous nights & by 8-30 it hit us with very strong wind & heavy rain but we all managed to survive unscathed. :cry:
Monday morning & it wa a matter of either packing up wet or hanging around until things dried a little, I chose the latter but Glen & Paul packed up a little damp but not too bad.
That's about all from me, looking forward for our next outing in April but especially to our next weekend outing in October @ Lake St Clair. If you missed this one don't that one. :wink:
Not all the fish were big but were still great fun to catch & release.
Regards,
Knees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of

arpie

#26 Post by arpie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Damn! I am now getting logged out in Chrome as well! grrrr

Well done, Pete

I am so glad that you got onto some more fish on the Sunday too after I mentioned a few tips on how to use Umpas!! The Damiki Umpa is a terrific little lure & VERY effective in the shallows around the lake - and specially casting towards lease fences & structure!! That little lure caught ALL my fish from Thurs thru to Sun. I dropped a couple of whoppers too & was busted off on one unstoppable too! You did better than me in that bay too! I don't think I hooked anything! LOL

Oh dear .... No-one mentioned the Flying Foxes (noisey smelly things they are!) They fly over our house every night! grrr Their shit stinks after the rain, too! Those mozzies were horrible! I hadn't noticed them on the Thurs at all!!

Those storms were a doozey tho! The Fri night one looked REALLY bad on radar - but fizzled out in about 10 mins! Incredible! Some people (ahem, Paul!) even managed to apparently sleep thru it!

On Friday, I worked my way up the channel from the Paradise Marina towards the Campground .... casting my Umpa Popper all the way to any rubble, leases or poles! If you ever see a bunch of poles - I either target the single poles, or the group of 3 ...... Near these poles had been targeted by Pete the day before & where he'd hooked a nice fish ..... and I'd dropped another nice one too!!
P3230017.jpg
I had some success, with the biggest bream being a 34cm tipper (my entry for March.)
P3220005.jpg
P3220007.jpg
This fish stitched me up in the bush - you can make out my orange braid - it went around the upright stick, around the left stick, under the front stick - with the fish staying dead still in amongst the snag! It is hiding behind the short stick on the right hand side!!
P3220009.jpg
The guilty culprit!
P3220011.jpg
A few more fish - a 31cm tipper
P3220016.jpg
Another one 29cm
P3220021.jpg
Another one on Sat - a 32cm tipper
P3230003.jpg
Catching up with Peter/Knees on Sat - he had some great success with Umpas & I am sure will use them more now! :wink:
P3230006.jpg
Fishing some rubble, I yelled to Pete - I am ON! Just over 33cm tipper
P3230007.jpg
P3230008.jpg
I caught up with Kato/Terry in a little creek - great to see him back on his kayak again!! I suggested he try the 'edge' alongside the campsite the next morning - casting towards the mangrove trees and the edge of the creek & over the busted up lease out from the camp in the shallows - with some success! :lek:
P3230016.jpg
Then another 34cm tipper off some structure (after a few under 30s!)
P3230023.jpg
P3230025.jpg
I had a few more 27-30cms one - all good fun!

It was great catching up with everybody - looking forward to the next gathering already! :gu:

cheerio

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#27 Post by pdfarrell » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Okie Dokie,

THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE CAMPERS THAT CAME AND PUT UP WITH THE FRICKEN MOZZIES!

Apart from that it was a great weekend!

I learnt alot about Forster, in particular that the high tide fishes better than early morning and late evening.
It took me to our last day to figure this out, but chomping at the bit to get back, preferably before next March.

Didn't catch as many fish as some, but still got some, including a little bream in the down time land based at the ramp.

My best for the weekend was a 32cm bream, caught on a sugapen, as per all my other fish, bar my land based ramper on a PX45.

Great times were had off the water, which is what our Forster and St Clair meets are all about.... please guys and girls, I urge you, whether a Midcoast Member or not to come along to our outings. Its more than fishing and you will make great new friends and like minded yakkers!

Heres some of my pics....
Camp Crackatinny.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
Early Morning over the Leases.jpg
Portrait.jpg
3.jpg
Bestest.jpg
OffTheRamp.jpg

Cheers,
PF

Reg
KFDU Angler

#28 Post by Reg » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:00 am

Hey guys

Great weekend, got the new camper out, held up well through both the storms, all be it Sunday morning was a bit of a soggy pack up.

Got some good time out on the water over the 3 days we were there (didn't fish the Sunday), had few good hits each outing on surface lures, lost a couple of those lures on the Friday afternoon (changed over to the cheaper stock when that became a habit) caught a couple of squid up in the deeper stuff to the south of the camp on a SP nuked chicken Shad, and spent a good couple of hrs down around the racks up towards the creek, next visit I think will head over the far side of those racks.

When I got a bit tired of casting the flats I decided to have a bit of a dangle using chicken strips soaked in minced garlic, had some really good bites and a couple of hooks ups when fishing the gutter between the racks and the sand bar but only boated a couple of butter fish when down around the bottom end.

All in all fishing is one thing but the fire side chats and social aspect is really the prize, this is a great idea and I am certainly looking forward to our next camping get together.
Member of

arpie

#29 Post by arpie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Well done on getting the squid, Reg! I've had them chase my lures but never hooked one here! You'll have to show me how you did it! ;)

Let me know next time you are up - we can hit the water!! :grin:

Roberta

Reg
KFDU Angler

#30 Post by Reg » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi Roberta..
Not a lot of science or intent behind the squid.. was casting at some shadows in the deeper water with the squdgy and ol mate hooked himself.. I was just as surprised as he was I think... took some bites out of the soft plastic and spat it out as I grabbing the net
Member of

Return to “Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club”