Amity point - over Christmas

For inquiries please send a PM to Coordinator "Jen"
brazo261
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East Qld
Kayaks: Double seater Hobie

Amity point - over Christmas

#1 Post by brazo261 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Will be heading to Amity Point over Christmas. Does anyone have any tips.
Unfortunately don't really have the gear for pelagics
all tips appreicated

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Re: Amity point - over Christmas

#2 Post by unsinkable 2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:09 pm

I'll be there for new year's. heading over on the 27th, fishing as soon as I can. my tip is don't fish at amity, or the jetty at least. VERY crowded and things shut down there at that time of year. If you must fish there, avoid the jetty like the plague on account of dolphins and people jumping from it :grr: , and try your luck on the rock groynes or the sandflats south of the campground. Ideally, pump some yabbies at dunwich and head to the surf at main beach or soak them just off the yabby bank. Best of luck, hope to see you there.

Cheers, Owen
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

wag71
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: burnett river, Gayndah, Qld

#3 Post by wag71 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Yes I agree head south of the jetty and try for flathead,whiting and squid. I am heading over on the 26th and will be at the point. Hope to head out to the group and around the headland. Hope to catch up with other kayakers

Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#4 Post by Lazybugger » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:31 pm

I wouldn't totally discount your ability to get a pelagic if you get the right day. There are still spotties and schoolies over that side of the island. Put a pilly out on some gangs or have a slug ready for bustups and you may get lucky. You don't need huge gear for these while a 3-4000 reel is preferable a well spooled 2500 can do the job. You'll also have fun doing it. I've caught 8kg longtails on a 2500 reel and a 2 -4kg rod, spotties would be easy in comparison. If you have a bigger combo that would be better of course.

Now if you get a really good day you could consider launching at adder rock or cylinder beach and try fishing around shag rock for snapper. Again, plastics on a 2500 reel can do the job, plenty of guys have caught 70cm pkus on this outfit. Just watch your wind and swell forecast, you never know your luck.

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by unsinkable 2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:05 pm

wag71 wrote:I am heading over on the 26th and will be at the point. Hope to head out to the group and around the headland. Hope to catch up with other kayakers
see you there! launching cylinder weather permitting. staying at amity but will head over most mornings.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

brazo261
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by brazo261 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 am

unfortunately we are leaving on the 27th but will have a play around - would love to have a crack at shag rock or something reefie but wont be doing it alone

wag71
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: burnett river, Gayndah, Qld

#7 Post by wag71 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 am

Well we are over at the point and the weather is terrible. Hoping it fines up. Very frustrating sitting on the deck looking out at shag rock and not being able to paddle out. Hopefully the weather will clear soon.

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by unsinkable 2 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Went out for a look at the group this morning. Came back wet and miserable after an hour. Swell too big for comfort at those rocks atm. Hoping it clears up soon.

Cheers, Owen
PBs

brazo261
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by brazo261 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:57 am

we got back before the weather was rubbish. Fished the rock wall - caught a few squire and some whiting. Bloody dolphins everywhere.
Almost soiled my self one afternoon when popped up about 3 meters from my kayak.

On Christmas eve there were boats/snorkelers and bodies everywhere no chance of catching anything

Will be giving it another cracker around april/may when less bodies and hopefully the mums and dads of those baby squire

Return to “Brisbane & Western Districts Kayak Fishing Club”