For inquiries please send a PM to Coordinator "Jen"
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

A lot of Fraser Island questions

#1 Post by MrPinkie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi guys/gals,

After my first couple of months kayak fishing I've recently been watching a heap of YT videos from people fishing Fraser Island with yaks and realised this is where I need to go in a big way. It's awesome fun here fishing off the Redcliffe Peninsula where I go, but it's a different world compared to Fraser and the other offshore spots.

I've been to Fraser 20+ times but never looked at it from a kayak perspective. I was really hoping some of you could help answer the myriad of questions I have below...

1. Is the only way to get to Wathumba Creek with a yak via 4WD or paddling the 56km from Hervey Bay? Any smaller private charters that go closer?

2. Has anyone caught the barge to Kingfisher Resort and paddled north to Wathumba from there? Are the currents and conditions doing this hard if the weather is good?

2. Are there still as many Midgies and SandFlies at Wathumba that I remember from when I was a kid going there - and - any recommendations on how to not get bitten by them that work?

4. If we catch the Inskip barge and paddle across to the campgrounds close on the Western side, is there any decent fishing here?

5. Is it just off the mouth of Wathumba Creek where the Marlin and big Tuna/Macks etc. come through, or do they also come through the Eastern beach side up from Orchard Beach?

6. Apart from Wathumba and Orchard Beach, are there any other good launch spots and camping for yaks where you can run into pelagics close to the shore?

7. Any other recommendations to get into some Macks/Tuna.other Pelagics etc. from Fraser or even Inskip Point/Northshore?

8. What sort of paddle fitness do you recommend to fish this area? Are there any recommended courses in the Moreton Bay area or good training runs to prepare for it?

9. Would my Hobie Quest 13 be up to fishing any of these areas or would I need a bigger/better yak and/or any modifications for safety?

Appreciate any answers thanks in advance.

Astro
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Queensland/Whitsundays
Kayaks: Adventure Island

Re: A lot of Fraser Island questions

#2 Post by Astro » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:41 pm

this how we do it...

1. Is the only way to get to Wathumba Creek with a yak via 4WD or paddling the 56km from Hervey Bay? Yes Any smaller private charters that go closer? No idea but i am sure you could pay someone

2. Has anyone caught the barge to Kingfisher Resort and paddled north to Wathumba from there? Are the currents and conditions doing this hard if the weather is good? We sail from the harbour

2. Are there still as many Midgies and SandFlies at Wathumba that I remember from when I was a kid going there - and - any recommendations on how to not get bitten by them that work? Usually Yes...tropical strength aerogard

4. If we catch the Inskip barge and paddle across to the campgrounds close on the Western side, is there any decent fishing here? we have caught fish from Moon Point to Rooneys

5. Is it just off the mouth of Wathumba Creek where the Marlin and big Tuna/Macks etc. come through, or do they also come through the Eastern beach side up from Orchard Beach? North of the creek is the sweet spot

6. Apart from Wathumba and Orchard Beach, are there any other good launch spots and camping for yaks where you can run into pelagics close to the shore? camping gets difficult due to not much beach at high tide

7. Any other recommendations to get into some Macks/Tuna.other Pelagics etc. from Fraser or even Inskip Point/Northshore?

8. What sort of paddle fitness do you recommend to fish this area? Are there any recommended courses in the Moreton Bay area or good training runs to prepare for it? we sail ;)

9. Would my Hobie Quest 13 be up to fishing any of these areas or would I need a bigger/better yak and/or any modifications for safety? you'll need a bigger boat..get an AI...nah your quest is fine...but how are you going to carry all of your gear? pedaling a fully loaded yak is hardwork..

get one of these...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUunt33H_sc&t=3s[/youtube]

sorry cant get that last one to embed
Tight Lines and Big Fishes...

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

Re: A lot of Fraser Island questions

#3 Post by MrPinkie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Wow, thanks heaps Astro. I have already watched all your videos - they are superb and one of the primary reasons why I so want to do such a trip.

Have you ever got into trouble even with sails and outriggers with weather changing between Urangan and Wathumba? I 100% would never contemplate doing that 56km journey in my Quest by the way lol - I just meant maybe getting there via 4WD and launching from Wathumba or Orchard Beach in it.

You guys have got a wicked setup with the AI's. It's unbelievable you can cover that ground in 6 hours with everything loaded. Appreciate the advice and your vids - they are the absolute epitome of yak fishing IMO.

Return to “Brisbane & Western Districts Kayak Fishing Club”