21 Kayaks Later - "and away we go"

For inquiries please send a PM to Coordinator "Jen"
Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

21 Kayaks Later - "and away we go"

#1 Post by Biggles » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:47 pm

The inaugural fish and BBQ day for the "Brisbane Kayak Fishing Club" was held today on the beautiful Caboolture River. A total of 21 fully rigged kayaks shoved off around 8:30 this morning from the Uhlmann Road boat ramp, and it wasn't long before the lizards started coming over the side. Almost everyone had scales on the deck before the BBQ bash back at the club house just after midday, and some guys were so excited about being on the water they even jumped in to cool off, lmao :snic:

I would like to thank all those people who were in a position to come along today, and from all the comments I would say our yak fishing future is in very good hands. I have posted some pics of the day and look forward to hearing how everyone went. Everyone should make the effort to ask Feral how he went today :tong:

Sorry about some of the pics guys, a dirty camera lens and the wrong angle of the sun buggered things up a little.

Regards

Al
DSCF2673.JPG
DSCF2680.JPG
DSCF2679.JPG
DSCF2708.JPG
DSCF2719.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

Re: 21 Kayaks Later - "and away we go"

#2 Post by Biggles » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:51 pm

A few more
DSCF2689.JPG
DSCF2699.JPG
DSCF2704.JPG
DSCF2729.JPG
DSCF2737.JPG
DSCF2733.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougOut
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: here,there & everywhere
Kayaks: native watercraft marvel SiK + Barracuda Ultralight FishPro SoT

#3 Post by DougOut » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Biggles wrote:Sorry about some of the pics guys,
no apologies necessary Al ..... looks like you all had Fun Day, wish I was there.
Native Watercraft Marvel SiK + Barracuda Ultralight FishPro SoT

BIGKEV
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane and surrounds

#4 Post by BIGKEV » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Yep looks awesome, sorry I could not get along today as work commitments unfortunately put a bit of a damper on things. Hope to be able to make it to these get togethers in the near future and looking forward to being part of this club.

Kev

Greybeard
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Find it

#5 Post by Greybeard » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:35 pm

As youv'e said to me many a time good report great pics and what looks like a great day. All these fishing clubs up and down the coast will have to get together for a big bash you's have the numbers at the moment but can you's really fish.LOL
Cheers Rowley

tacklebox
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution

#6 Post by tacklebox » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:07 pm

What an awesome day! I had a crappy start when I tried to pedal and found I wasn't going very far. I put it down to a Mirage Drive malfunction and was happy enough to putter around the ramp. It wasn't until Kreel had done a quick lap up the river, down to the mouth and back that we realised I'd left my trolley under the yak :bb: Funny how much better it worked without the trolley! I used plastics for a while until I got bitten off by a suspected pike then switched to trolling hardbodies. I hooked up what I thought was a huge flattie but alas it was a foul hooked pike. Trolled around a bit more for no joy so switched to a red/orange Damiki Vault. 1st cast and I was onto a very feisty 39cm flathead. Silly me held it by the bottom lip and it scraped chunks of skin off my left thumb :ts: I usually handle these with a filleting glove on but I'd left them at home and was trying to avoid the spikes.

It was a terrific event and great to put a few faces to names. Thanks to Al for starting the club and organising the event. Look forward to the next one :smi:

Feral
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Caboolture

#7 Post by Feral » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:32 pm

That photo - DSCF2680.JPG You might be appologising for that one mate, you should be old enough to know better!

You'll notice I am rather wet in my photo, I had just been for a little dip. Young fella in the profish (sorry cant remember your name) got on to a stonker flattie first cast. He didn't have a net so I tried paddle up his blind side and hand him mine. The flattie had other ideas and swapped sides coming between us, so not thinking, I thought I'll net him! :ts:

Next thing I am sitting on the bottom with my yak upside down 6 foot above me! I had stretched to far! First time I have ever fallen off, and fair dinkum it was within 5 minutes of the start, less than 100m from the ramp! And even worse, he lost the flattie! So note everyone, Feral has the indignity of being the first club outing Dunkee, something I am sure I will be reminded of regularly!

Quickly flipped the yak upright, dog paddled round to get the floating stuff like hats and shoes back in, then put in to practice all that stuff about getting back in that I had read, but never practiced. No worries, nailed it first time.

All I lost was the net I had in my hand when I went over, dunno if I dropped it or the flattie took it with him, I think the former, dont think I even got close with the net. But only a $7 Big W job, so no loss. Next one will definately have a longer handle!

I was very lucky the rod and reel were only sitting in the holder, not tethered, but they stayed there. My older sounder and GPS went off when they went under, both are supposed to be IPX7, the sounder I found the IPX ratings not worth much if you dont have a waterproof fuse, it was blown, so hopefully thats all the issue is with the sounder. The GPS, well I've got to better ones if its no good.

Took half an hour for the water to come out of the reel enough for me to be able to cast properly, the water in it made the drag loose as, and the magnetic weights were not working well, so any cast was an instant backlash for a while. But she came good, and is now at my mates place getting cleaned up.

I did manage to save some dignity later in the day with a little flattie that I will generously call 30cm, taking a trolled cotton Cordell silver minnow.
flattie.jpg
Here is a shot of someone else catching a good flattie!
flattie2.jpg
We timed it well, by the time we had hit the ramp the wind was starting to come up, so seabreeze was dead set accurate for us today!(well 15 minutes out, but we can forgive that)

silver19
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Sth East Qld/Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 + Extreme Fish Bandit + Feelfree X-Press Tourer SIK

#8 Post by silver19 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:54 pm

What a great day :ll:

Thanks Al for the hard work in organizing such a great outing.

How you managed to turn on such good weather and arrange for the fish to cooperate is beyond me. :fg:

A special thanks must go to Feral for the synchronize swimming show. 10 out of 10 from the Russian judge. :bb:

It was great to meet all the guys and gals and to see such a great variety of yaks.

Dawn and I had a great day - caught a few fish - met some great people - how much better can it get?

Will post some photos soon.

slider65
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld

#9 Post by slider65 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 pm

It was a great day and put faces to names. looking foward to the next one. And thanks for the work in getting it all set up Al.

I only managed one keeper but it was worth it.

Whiting;44.5cm.
Bream;39.5cm.
Flathead;85cm.
Snapper;72cm.
Tailor;52cm.
Golden Trevelly;68cm.
Permit;51cm.
Mangrove Jack;49.5cm.
Queenfish;69cm.
Jew;67cm.
Bass;48.5cm.
Yellowbelly:48cm.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#10 Post by rocketV » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:05 pm

I made sure not to laugh at your efforts Feral...I'm almost sure to match your efforts some time in the near future :snic:
good to see so many yakkers getting together for a social fish, look forward to the next one.

rocket
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

#11 Post by Biggles » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:22 pm

A few more from the gallery
DSCF2686.JPG
DSCF2702.JPG
DSCF2723.JPG
DSCF2696.JPG
DSCF2716.JPG

T-curve
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midnorth coast

#12 Post by T-curve » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Wow...good stuff ppls !! That's one way of kicking things off :re: Great photos from everyone and looked like a top day out even if some would prefer to go swimming :snic:
Cheers
Adrian

Tarpon 100

yakhak
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast, Maroochydore

#13 Post by yakhak » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Well as Feral mentioned a young fella in a Profish hooked a nice flattie first cast, that was me so i feel partly responsible for the swim Feral so again I will say sorry. I hope your sounder is ok.

Had an awsome day, it was great to meet people with the same interest, also enjoyed checking out all the rigged kayaks.

I ended up landing six flatties all on plastics but most of them were on the smaller side 30cm - 45cm, dropped a stonker which was ok because i was more worried about the bloke in the water rather than the fish.

Had a really good day except the traffic jams on the way home trying to get to work.

Thanks Biggles for the organization and everyone one else took part, was a very enjoyable day.

cheers

Cam
Old Town Loon!!

Hobie Adventure Island!!

Graham Barnard
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sunshine coast

#14 Post by Graham Barnard » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi all, I haven,t had so much enjoyment from fishing since I moved up from S.A 2.5 yrs ago. Really enjoyed meeting you all. I had a great fishing buddy in S.A. and really miss his company. After today,s outing I think I will be able to get right into the fishing again. Totally awesome day, met and chatted with some wonderful people. No fish, Doh!!, but a fantastic social atmosphere. Thanks to Al and the Caboolture River Boat Fishing Club. Looking forward to the next outing. Not sure if that might be for the fishing or the social aspect, but either way, I'll have a great time. Couldn't log off without saying "nice demo Feral" have wondered how it should be done, now i know LOL.

Kind regards to all

Feral
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Caboolture

#15 Post by Feral » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Cam - dont worry about it, someone had to be first in the drink! Didn't the boat club boys give me some curry at the BBQ!

I reckon that Flattie would have beat your PB as well!

Graham I'm going to start telling people it was a demo session I graciously agreed to put on for the new members!

Return to “Brisbane & Western Districts Kayak Fishing Club”