Gopro Battery Life

yantabulla
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Coffs Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 & 13

Gopro Battery Life

#1 Post by yantabulla » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I lashed out on a Gopro Hero 2 when I was in Sydney during the week. While I can't fault the fantastic video that it produces I was wondering how KFDU members managed battery life.

A session on Newports Creek yesterday managed just under 1 hour of in 1080-30 mode with probably 1/2 an hour on standby.

Searching Gopro sites reveals some dissatisfaction with battery life however I would value the opinion of fellow kayakers.

The simple solution is to purchase a few batteries & change them when they are flat however that is problematic where water & particularly salt water is involved.

Questions???

I charged mine from my ipad/ipod charger with the Gopro usb cable. Is that OK or should I shell out for a Gopro specific charger.

Is there a video recording mode that is less demanding on the battery.

What sort of battery life are others managing? Have I got a dud battery?

Thanks in advance.

Yanta
All setbacks are temporary

mudcrab
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: south coast
Kayaks: Hobie Quest moss green, Hobie Outback 2013 olive

Re: Gopro Battery Life

#2 Post by mudcrab » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:10 pm

you can get a wi fi back with remote, this would allow you to turn it on when needed may work i don't actually have but have been looking good luck either way.
HOBIE QUEST pb: 34cm Bream, 70cm Flattie, 35cm EP, 32cm Blackfish, stinking pike, 54cm Sargent baker, 32cm bass, 53cm silver Trevally.

yantabulla
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by yantabulla » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks for taking the time Mudcrab,

I have purchased a battery backpack which in theory doubles the battery life.

I'll see how it goes. Might look at a head mount that I can turn off & on more easily.

Yanta

Jen
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there are fish
Kayaks: Hobie Revo ll "Calamity Jen ll"

#4 Post by Jen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:55 pm

I found the same problem yesterday only filmed for about 2 mins then had it on standby waiting for that "moment" and after about 2 hours the thing went flat. I will be getting the remote when they come to australia so hopefully that should fix the problem but it is a bit disappointing when the battery goes flat so quickly

yantabulla
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by yantabulla » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm

G'day Jen,

I have tried the battery Bacpac yesterday. I didn't do a lot of filming as the fishing was hard work however with the extra battery It lasted for about 5 hours with 41 minutes of video. I have my gopro mounted on a piece broom stick handle shoved in the the sail mount of my Revo (high tech I know) via a bike handlebar mount. If I hook up I have to shuffle up onto the centre hatch to hit the start button which can be interesting . I'm thinking about a head mount. At least the view is of the fishy action & not me. Also it is easier to activate the camera. As for the remotes I'm pretty sure I saw some in Paxtons at Parramatta Westfield during the week. They are great little cameras with uses beyond kayak fishing so I will persevere. Best wishes, Yanta.

Mzoghbi
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour

#6 Post by Mzoghbi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Ive got the WIFI bac Pac. as its good for remotly capturing or recording . i did notice that having it all onstandby and waiting does drain the remote battery and WIFI unit. but on a good note, it was after 2 hours.

agz67
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: lake macquarie
Kayaks: hobie outback, malibu mini x

#7 Post by agz67 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm

i always take out 2 fully charged batteries with me. never had a problem changing battery on the water. u should get 2-3 hours out of the battery depending on your settings i think. a mate of mine reckons he just uses them on 720p to get better recording times. ive seen his vids on youtube and they are still excellent quality
yak pbs: bream 46cm, flathead 85cm, squire 37cm, whiting 42cm, bass 35cm

Jimmy2M
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE QLD

#8 Post by Jimmy2M » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I get about 2.5 hours out of a battery, generally recording most of that time. Suits me because I get about 2 hours of HD recording from my 16GB card. I also have the GoPro battery bacpac if I think it's going to be a bit longer, and mount it onto the camera so I don't have to worry about changing batteries.

Looking forward to getting hold of the wifi remote combo. :gu:
PB - Barra 94cm
PB - Tailor 62cm
PB - Flathead 78cm

yantabulla
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by yantabulla » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Jimmy, how do you charge your batteries? I'm using an ipod wall charger & I'm wondering if that is appropriate. Also have you noticed if the recording mode effects battery life.

This website

http://www.sttr.no/gopro-battery-lifetime/

suggests battery life of 3 to 5 hours with a bacpac if I am interpreting it correct

Thanks,

Yanta

Jimmy2M
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE QLD

#10 Post by Jimmy2M » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 pm

G'day Yanta,

Yep, you're reading it right. And any charging method should be fine, just the recharge time that will vary. I usually charge from PC or from my in car 12v USB adaptor. When I am using the GoPro in vehicle, I have the skeleton case fitted and keep it hooked up to power constantly.

This would always be an option for the technophile or gadget addictied or both (me) to install a sealed battery in a yak, or utilise one of the sounder power packages. Certainly be cheaper to head down to Jaycar and grab a few bits and a battery, install flush mount 12v marine adaptor into the hull, away you go...with any 12v powered accessory...GPS, V/UHF radios, USB as discussed...I've even got a small 240v inverter that fits in a vehicle cupholder -> onboard mains power :lek:

But I digress...

Cheers
PB - Barra 94cm
PB - Tailor 62cm
PB - Flathead 78cm

Squidley
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SA metro

#11 Post by Squidley » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Framerate and resolution make a difference to battery life. I have a battery bacpac and I got about two and a half hours of recording time at 720p, 60 fps. At 720p 30 I get 3.5-4 hours. I guess that a higher data capture rate = more power consumption. You can charge the gopro and its battery bacpac with any USB port or charger, including the iPhone charger (with a mini USB cable instead of a iPod cable of course). The charger Gopro sells apparently has a higher current output which will charge the batteries quicker. By the way, if you get a battery bacpac you'll need to plug a charger into it as well as the base camera's usb port. I use two USB ports on my laptop for the purpose.

MattoTarpon
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere There Is Bass
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13 , WS Aspire 105.

#12 Post by MattoTarpon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 pm

yantabulla wrote:I lashed out on a Gopro Hero 2 when I was in Sydney during the week. While I can't fault the fantastic video that it produces I was wondering how KFDU members managed battery life.

A session on Newports Creek yesterday managed just under 1 hour of in 1080-30 mode with probably 1/2 an hour on standby.

Searching Gopro sites reveals some dissatisfaction with battery life however I would value the opinion of fellow kayakers.

The simple solution is to purchase a few batteries & change them when they are flat however that is problematic where water & particularly salt water is involved.

Questions???

I charged mine from my ipad/ipod charger with the Gopro usb cable. Is that OK or should I shell out for a Gopro specific charger.

Is there a video recording mode that is less demanding on the battery.

What sort of battery life are others managing? Have I got a dud battery?

Thanks in advance.

Yanta
Hey Mattohobie here, I have had a GoPro Hero 2 for sometime and you are not the only one mate. The battery life is some what a shame for the makers of the unit. I must be a little more lucky as i get a hr and a half out of mine off a full charge but that still does not make me a happy camper so i went out and got a few extra batteries. As for charging the unit i use my big screen tv via usb and this does not make any differance in what useage time you get from the battery. I think??? Got my PA12 yesterday and she will see water for the first time tom morn. only hrs to go. :)
Bass - 52cm
Mary River Cod 69cm my dream catch.
Flathead - 64cm Yellowbelly - 54cm
Bream - 38cm Silver Perch - 44cm
Saratoga - 74cm Flounder - 33cm
Whiting - 27cm

ITS A GODDAMN SHARKNADO!!!!!

yantabulla
KFDU Angler

#13 Post by yantabulla » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Squidley,

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll experiment with the camera & see how I go. Fishing conditions are not looking good this weekend even in the estuarys.

I don't want to win an oscar or even a logie. It's just good to have a few vids of me getting busted off.

MattoHobie,

I don't blame the makers, you can see that the product is marketed to high impact short time span activites like parachuting, downhill skiing, bungee jumping , you know what I mean??

We just have to look at how we can use them to our advantage. I was more concerned that I had a dud battery or I wasn't using the appropriate charger.

PA 12 the more I see of them the more I like them

Yanta

yantabulla
KFDU Angler

#14 Post by yantabulla » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Not sure what happened but I'm now getting 3hrs & 45 minutes from the GoPro with a bacpac on 720/30.

I turn it on when I get in the water & just let it run.

Kevinnugent
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler 12

#15 Post by Kevinnugent » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Same here. My 16gb card will only hold just over 2 hours worth anyway. I got the chesty holster, so can turn off occasionally. I think I'm going to try the head mount soon. There's too much footage missed shooting straight on.
Cheers,
Kevin

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”