Brands of video cameras

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Re: Brands of video cameras

#46 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:20 am

bingunna wrote:
Plakkyboat wrote: I'm buying the Big W waterproof action camera today for $98.

I would have bought the one you own but with a remote added for to the camera for that price at a local shop, I decided it was a bargain worth checking out.
You should have read all the posts techmoan did a review on the BigW camera and it's a piece of crap save your money or you will be disappointed.
Bought the camera today, before reading your post and checked out the review you mentioned. He didn't call it a 'piece of crap' anywhere in his review but did mentioned his preferences for a different camera.

Most of the features he didn't like, aren't a concern to me except the audio quality, the lens quality and general video quality, keeping in mind that it is a cheap video camera with a remote. The remote makes it special for kayaking, if that part works as expected.

I will test for those features and if they are an issue, I'll return it to Big W before the 7 day cooling period is up. Consumer rights are a bonus especially with stores that honour those rights.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up even if it was a bit afterwards.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

#47 Post by Occy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:56 am

Pete49 wrote:Occy, page 19 of the user manual DEFINATLY says 2M. To my understanding that is 2 metres not miles :grin: so someone is having a lend.

Thanks Pete. As previously stated I was more than a tad surprised to find such a high rating on such a cheap camera, so I really did make a point of double checking it. And as you can see from the attached link to their latest catalogue (https://www.bigw.com.au/offer/catalogue ... 51&page=17), they clearly make the claim it's good for up to 50 metres. That claim is also prominently displayed several times on the box if I'm not mistaken.

It's interesting to note they haven't yet addded this one to their web site, although they do show the cheaper $49 720P model, with a 2 metre rating I might add. So obviously there's either an error in the user manual, or someone is telling porkies. :grr: As I see it either way Big W have a big problem, because quite frankly this looks like a monumental stuff up. False advertising and product misrepresentation don't go down too well with Fair Trading these days, so I would expect you will hear something more about it down the track.
Last edited by Occy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

bingunna
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Fraser Coast QLD
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

#48 Post by bingunna » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:53 am

According to Techmoans review the BigW camera isn't even 1080P, there was no difference in video quality between 1080p and 720p except the narrower field of view. blurry at the edges, and audio is bad. seems like people just want a cheap remote control camera no matter what the images are like.

tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

#49 Post by tonystott » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30 pm

I think you have to step back a bit from relying 100% on Techmoan's opinions. I own the 720P camera sold by KMart, which is an earlier model than the 3SIXt 1080P version sold by BigW (and KMart as well), and am quite happy with video quality. I couldn't give a toss about audio as I keep the camera inside its waterproof casing, so sound input is bugger all. The only feature mine lacks that would have been better is remote operation, and if an extra $50 odd gains that functionality with NO improvement in video image quality, I would be quite happy.

I hav used the camera in its waterproof casing to about one metre underwater and it was fine. Fifty metres might be better, but unnecessary unless the camera is to be used for diving.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#50 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 pm

bingunna wrote:According to Techmoans review the BigW camera isn't even 1080P, there was no difference in video quality between 1080p and 720p except the narrower field of view. blurry at the edges, and audio is bad. seems like people just want a cheap remote control camera no matter what the images are like.
Thanks bingunna. You make some good points here.

For me, personal choice should always be paramount regardless of the issues that influence others.

I do like to be guided by the experience of others but ultimately am convinced by my own experiences even with consideration to well intended pre and/or post event warnings.

We are so lucky to live in a country where most retailers honour the 7 day money back laws.

If you can't try before you buy then perhaps this law is designed partially to assist those who wish/need to buy and try and then return the goods if they don't live up to 'their' expectations.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#51 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:02 pm

tonystott wrote:I think you have to step back a bit from relying 100% on Techmoan's opinions. I own the 720P camera sold by KMart, which is an earlier model than the 3SIXt 1080P version sold by BigW (and KMart as well), and am quite happy with video quality. I couldn't give a toss about audio as I keep the camera inside its waterproof casing, so sound input is bugger all. The only feature mine lacks that would have been better is remote operation, and if an extra $50 odd gains that functionality with NO improvement in video image quality, I would be quite happy.

I hav used the camera in its waterproof casing to about one metre underwater and it was fine. Fifty metres might be better, but unnecessary unless the camera is to be used for diving.
I totally agree about your thoughts on the audio quality in a case Tony. I for one don't wish to run a commentary documentary. Dub some music on it if you don't like the audio quality. Better still, turn it off.

I have read the manual from cover to cover and it mentions that the 3SIXT 1080P is not designed for depths below 2 metres. Suited for a kayak flip perhaps and maybe an issue in the pressure of surf conditions but I would only put it on at the back of the surf if that is a risk. I'm not looking to demonstrate my kayak surfing skills or lack there of, on video to the world. There is already enough of that on the net as is.

Personally if the quality is only 720P then that's fine too. The file sizes with 1080P will be much greater and not really worth it, especially for my purposes. I want it for personal memories/record, not for show. It's the remote and replaceable battery that really sells me, for under 100 buckeroos. Now I need to go and buy a memory card to run tests.

I guess nothing less than 32GB makes sense. Lexars cost about the same as Sandisk but reviews seem to say the Lexars are ahead on specs.

Any thoughts on that, anyone?
Cheers -- Paul

Gareth6210
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin XL

#52 Post by Gareth6210 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Plakkyboat wrote:I guess nothing less than 32GB makes sense. Lexars cost about the same as Sandisk but reviews seem to say the Lexars are ahead on specs.

Mate, a 32gb card recording 720p would be roughly 10hours of video, 16gb would be more than enough, and save you a buck or 2.
Photography is my 2nd hobbie next to fishing, so to say I've tried cards is an understatement haha. Aslong as its a class 10 card you will be alright, with regards to brands ive tried heaps, from top brands to minor and havent had an issue across the range. Im using a cheap Strontium 16gb class 10 in one of my gopros shooting full HD 1080, and theres not 1 single issue. As some know I shoot heaps of video in a trip and never get passed 10gb. Hope this helps.
Tight lines,
Gareth.
https://www.facebook.com/GarethEadiePhotography?ref=hl
Ytube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyy9mI ... VCDhcUkPYA
Instagram: gareth6210

PB's!!
Bass:45cm (wild) Bull Shark:1.34m Whiting:36cm
Bream:36cm Mangrove Jack:60cm Murray Cod:52cm
Flathead:67cm Snapper:73cm Mulloway:60cm
Est Cod:58cm Mullet:65cm
Tilapia:40cm Grunter:68cm

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#53 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Gareth6210 wrote:
Plakkyboat wrote:I guess nothing less than 32GB makes sense. Lexars cost about the same as Sandisk but reviews seem to say the Lexars are ahead on specs.

Mate, a 32gb card recording 720p would be roughly 10hours of video, 16gb would be more than enough, and save you a buck or 2.
Photography is my 2nd hobbie next to fishing, so to say I've tried cards is an understatement haha. Aslong as its a class 10 card you will be alright, with regards to brands ive tried heaps, from top brands to minor and havent had an issue across the range. Im using a cheap Strontium 16gb class 10 in one of my gopros shooting full HD 1080, and theres not 1 single issue. As some know I shoot heaps of video in a trip and never get passed 10gb. Hope this helps.
Gareth you've saved me a lot of splinters in my finger tips (head scratching the bald parts) and now it seems you've also saved me some bucks to boot.

Your efforts to assist are immensely appreciated.
Cheers -- Paul

swabio
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra / NSW South Coast.....and the local lakes!
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler old school PA14

#54 Post by swabio » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:47 pm

apparently the samsung microSD cards are the schizzle.... if you can manage to get your hands on them!

I bought a 64GB Sandisk Ultra (the official gopro 3 recommended at the time!) which was crappy as hell.... could not keep up with the GP3 BE...... as I was in Indonesia last year...... trying to find a decent MicroSD card was a nightmare....... ended up with a transcend one and it has not skipped a beat!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#55 Post by Occy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:18 am

By the way I've sent an email to Woolworths (Big W's boss) asking for an explanation. I'll keep you posted if and when I hear something.

So if you want to get your hands on one of these cameras and are happy with a 2 metre rating as opposed to 50 metres (which IMHO was overkill anyway) I suggest you do it soon. Because whenBig W find out about the stuff up they will have withdraw any remaining stock from sale. If you are one of the lucky ones who already has one I'm thinking an offer to keep it with a refund could be on the table. :egrin:
Cheers Paul

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#56 Post by Plakkyboat » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Occy wrote:By the way I've sent an email to Woolworths (Big W's boss) asking for an explanation. I'll keep you posted if and when I hear something.

So if you want to get your hands on one of these cameras and are happy with a 2 metre rating as opposed to 50 metres (which IMHO was overkill anyway) I suggest you do it soon. Because whenBig W find out about the stuff up they will have withdraw any remaining stock from sale. If you are one of the lucky ones who already has one I'm thinking an offer to keep it with a refund could be on the table. :egrin:
Hi Paul,

Not sure if you are complaining to Big W about the low waterproof depth of the product or you believe the product is mis-advertised as 50 metres waterproof.

I explained earlier in this post that the manual says 2 metres. So this time I scanned the manual to show evidence. See picture below.

I tested it out today after buying a memory card for it yesterday. Unfortunately the lens quality is very poor. Perhaps it is something else in the electronic design that is not working properly. The 1080P quality is terrible and then you have large files that need reducing hence reducing visual quality even more.

Therefore I'm packing it up and taking it back ASAP for a full refund. Sadly even if they discounted it by 50% I don't think it is worth it.

The remote worked great and the audio with the camera out of the case was fine for the quality you'd expect for this level of video camera. Bummer about the visual quality.
2 Metres Waterproof.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul

tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

#57 Post by tonystott » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Plakkyboat wrote:SNIP

How long do you get from full charge to flat battery?

Some pics and more details about you method to recharge your battery on the water would be greatly appreciated, e.g. how long does it take to recharge on the water, what are the specs of the LiPo battery and the mini voltage regulator, how have you bundled it together in you yak, etc.

I'm buying the Big W waterproof action camera today for $98.

I would have bought the one you own but with a remote added for to the camera for that price at a local shop, I decided it was a bargain worth checking out.
Sorry it took a while, but I didn't have any photos of my "mobile" charging setup. Please be aware though, that Paulo's excellent arrangements leave mine for dead, but mine are enough for a few days away from civilisation. Here is my setup.

Android mobile phone - 2 spare batteries (should give me 3 days in the wild)
Drift 720HD 2 spare batteries (should give me 3 8 hours on standby days)*1
Lowrance Link2 VHF needs recharge after about 8 hours *2
KMart sports HD needs recharge after a few hours *1

*1 5.5v charger via Dimension Engineering variable voltage regulator (second pic. link: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/de-swadj)
Deans connector to 12v 2200mA LiPo battery (to match my other equipment), with small USB output connector which fits both video cameras. As I have two 12v LiPos, I believe I have enough charging capacity to keep both video cameras and the VHF charged enough to get me through three days.
Here is the regulator minus duct tape...

*2 12v charger for Lowrance Link2
Everything fits in a small tupperware box which I keep in the hatch under my legs. I don't need to charge out on the water.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#58 Post by Occy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks for that mate. There can now be no doubt the manual says 2 metres. But I'm still confused as to why both the box and the advertising say something different. And 47 metres is something different. I suppose it's all academic if the quality is crap, but at least you can get a full refund so no harm done.

The real issue for me though is the apparent misrepresentation of the product. It isn't rocket science, either it has a 50 metre rating or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then they are in deep shit because by law they have to make a full public apology and recall the product. And they would be liable for any damages caused by their misrepresentation.

Think about it for minute, a 32 Gb micro Sd card could cost almost as much as the camera. If one was ruined by water ingress they would be responsible. I'll let you know what they have to say.
Cheers Paul

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#59 Post by nqkayaktours » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Well i am glad that we have sorted the cheap alternative cameras out. Will assist a few out there that cannot afford the high range gear. But I honestly doubt that if you could afford to purchase a high end good quality camera, you wouldnt be looking at the $100 special from Big W. So with that in mind could get back to the original post of what is a good quality camera, and what isnt?
nqkayaktours wrote: There are many brands out there for different prices. And some have remote which is a pretty big factor for some people. An idea i also like. But if you could afford a good setup for both 1- yak and 2- head mount, what would they be? Or if you could buy just one for either yak or head mount, what would it be? Bearing in mind you would like to put it underwater to get fish shots etc. Just curious.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
And as i already said, i aint a big fan of Go-Pro. But there are some other good quality and probably even better performing cameras for the same price, or a bit more. Which you would buy because you had the dollars to do so.
I cannot afford a good quality head mount atm, but am interested in seeing what the majority out there would purchase, (or own), and for what specific reason. Im sure there are others also interested in the higher range top end stuff as well. Maybe for now, or like me, down the track a bit.

Maybe even someone out there "in the know", knows of new camera release due to hit the market scene soon, that is hush hush. So to speak. :wink: Please share.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

bingunna
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Fraser Coast QLD
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

#60 Post by bingunna » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Told you so!

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”